The Lane Clan on Cadence's graduation day from Camp NICU


August and September was,  in effect, a whirlwind of emotions.  Cadence (our new baby girl) was in Camp NICU (the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) for two weeks when they told us she could come home. However, the night before she was to be discharged, she had an apnea episode where she stopped breathing and turned a shade of smurf blue.

With some assistance, she started breathing again.  The doctors required her to stay an additional eight days to monitor her breathing.  That was a difficult and scary time for sure.  Also while at Camp NICU, two tiny holes in her heart were found, which we must contact a cardiologist for a follow up.

The camp counselors (a.k.a nurses) at Camp NICU were very friendly and helpful to us rookie parents.  They gave us valuable tips and Cadence did quite well.  Her discharge date came after being there 22 days, and booyah, bye bye camp!  (If you could have seen my wife, a nurse, and myself trying to install the car seat base into the car that day, you would have cracked up laughing.)

The first week we had baby boo home, there was an earthquake (we live 30 miles from the epicenter of that bad boy) and a hurricane.  Welcome home Cadence!


Adjusting to life with a newborn has been quite a learning experience.  I couldn’t drink coffee before my transplant due to the high level of phosphorus in the coffee beans and dairy in the creamer.

Well, I’ve drank enough coffee in the past two months to make up for lost times.  Yet, I’ve found I don’t need as much sleep as I thought I did.  In reality, I went for weeks on 3-4 hours of sleep and lots of coffee, thinking I’m spankin’ Superman (well, more like Luke Cage), until I eventually crashed.  Hard.  It wasn’t pretty, but apparently, highly amusing.

(Just ask my wife.  I’m thankful for her grace in not videotaping me dancing around the townhouse, talking gibberish, and overall acting like a fool.)

Cadence has had trouble with reflux (she was diagnosed with GERD or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) and food allergies (we think it may be peanuts, dairy, corn, and injustice).  My wife, a true warrior princess, has cut dairy, soy, wheat, corn and peanuts/treenuts from her diet to pinpoint what is causing Cadence to have such adverse reactions.  We’re using formula for now and consulting with our pediatrician.


I’m finding our house has become Ft. Lane and we are knee deep in World War Baby.  Not to say we are fighting our baby, but fighting for our baby.  We (more I than Stephanie) haven’t been as social as we would like to be, but living la vida familia instead.  Finding the balance of soldiering through WWB, maintaing contact with friends/family, working, and keeping our minds in our heads and not losing them  is proving…difficult.  But still we rise.

In other news, I started a project called Poemvember that I’m excited about.  For each day in November, I will post a poem I’ve written or a poem someone has submitted (cough cough, your poetry is better shared than kept to yourself, why don’t you go ahead and email me a poem so I can post it next month, cough cough).

Thank you all for reading. Any tips/advice you veterans of WWB may have would be greatly appreciated.  May peace be with you, may peace be multiplied.


Some of you have requested to see more pics, so here are a few:


Telling Cadence the story in the NICU of how Superman came from the planet Krypton and crashed in Kansas



Me, coming off caffeine and adrenaline, unaware my wife is taking my photo


The nurses fought over who would take care of her in the NICU. Cadence also pulled her feeding tube out on her own and started drinking only from the bottle. That is that Ross-Sexton-Lane fire coursing through her veins.


Family pic at the beautiful Fawn Lake where Grandaddy John was the featured Pro Golfer at a charity tournament. Photo taken by Grandma Joyce

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *